Saturday, August 30

Health Dept Blunder Raises Eyebrows as State Battles Diarrhoea and Cholera Outbreak

Rourkela: In a glaring case of bureaucratic oversight, the Odisha government has promoted and transferred a doctor who passed away over two months ago, drawing sharp criticism at a time when the state is grappling with a cholera and diarrhoea outbreak. The incident has highlighted serious lapses in administrative coordination within the Health and Family Welfare Department.

The doctor in question, Dr. Smruti Ranjan Samal (46), a Block Public Health Officer at Birkera CHC in Sundargarh district, died on April 6. Yet, his name was featured in a promotion and transfer order issued last Thursday, wherein he was elevated to the post of Additional Public Health Officer (TB).

CDMO Admits Mistake, Says Death Was Communicated

Speaking to TOI, Chief District Medical Officer Guru Mahanta confirmed that Dr. Samal’s death had been reported to the department earlier. “We had sent a letter notifying the health department about his demise, but it appears to have been overlooked during the preparation of the transfer list,” he said.

The promotion and transfer list, signed by the commissioner-cum-secretary of the health department, also directed that doctors be relieved without waiting for substitutes, in order to ensure uninterrupted health services amid the ongoing public health emergency.

Government Faces Flak Amid Health Emergency

The timing of this error has intensified public outrage, as Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi recently directed the department to implement urgent containment measures to curb the rising number of diarrhoea and cholera cases. The government has enforced:

  • Disinfection of drinking water sources
  • Temporary ban on street food sales
  • Heightened food safety inspections in affected areas like Jajpur
  • High alert status across all healthcare facilities in vulnerable districts

Health Experts Call for Accountability

Health activists and public health professionals have expressed concern over such administrative missteps, especially during a statewide health crisis. “This is not just a clerical error—this shows the disconnect between field realities and policy decisions,” said a Rourkela-based health expert.

Critics say the blunder underscores a larger problem of poor data management and lack of departmental synchronisation, which could hinder effective public health response.

What’s Next?

There has been no official apology or corrective statement yet from the state health department, though insiders suggest an internal probe may be initiated to identify how the deceased doctor’s name remained on active service records.

As Odisha struggles to contain the spread of infectious diseases, calls for tighter administrative vigilance and better coordination between district and state-level health offices are growing louder.

Share.
Leave A Reply

Doctors Post is a news portal tailored to provide current news & updates on issues related exclusively to medical & healthcare professionals. The content of Doctor Post is judiciously authored by a dedicated team of legal experts, doctors and reporters.  The intent of the content is to expeditiously update doctor’s information & news necessary for the smooth functioning of their profession.

© 2024 Doctor Post. All Rights Reserved. Created and Maintained by Creative web Solution

Disclaimer: Use of the site is governed by our terms of use, privacy policy, and advertisement policy. For further details, please refer to our Disclaimer.

Exit mobile version